Ep. 12: Fat & Fertility with Nicola Salmon
Fat and Fertility with Nicola Salmon
Nicola Salmon is a fat-positive fertility coach and acupuncturist that has helped women around the world to find their path to something they’ve wanted their entire lives…parenthood. Today she talks with us about her journey to this inspiring career, and what she feels is one of the most crucial steps in helping her clients achieve their dream.
This information-packed episode is one you won’t want to miss!
What we’re talking about
- Growing Up With the Shame of Being Fat
- Trauma and How It Led to Becoming A Fat-Positive Fertility Coach
- Embracing Her Own Fat Identity and Helping Other Bigger Bodied Women Get Pregnant
Growing Up With the Shame of Being Fat
Nicola lays it all out there with how it felt to grow up bigger, and feeling “different” than her peers. As young as age 8-9, she realized that she wasn’t the same as her friends. She was “bigger.” She was pressured to do things to get “healthy” (aka: lose weight), but Nicola accepted her size, and came to her “fat identity” at this age even with external pressure to see the number on the scale get smaller. At age 16 she was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), and told she would never be able to have children.
Trauma and How It Led to Becoming A Fat-Positive Fertility Coach
When Nicola was just out of university, she was living in London. She was soundly asleep when a man was shot on her doorstep, and bullets flew just inches above her window. This led to PTSD, and, in her search for healing, she discovered acupuncture. The acupuncture was a game changer, helping to relieve her PTSD, and spurring her interest to help others with this tool. Her natural interest in PCOS and hormones led her to become a trained fertility coach.
Embracing Her Own Fat Identity and Helping Other Bigger Bodied Women Get Pregnant
Even though Nicola did not struggle with becoming pregnant, it was after delivering her own child that she not only embraced her fat identity, but she wanted to help other bigger bodied women to achieve their dream of parenthood as well. She focuses on finding supportive healthcare professionals, mental and physical aspects of how being fat affects the goal of becoming pregnant, and creating a positive mindset to set your body up for success.
- 20:23 – 21:15 (52 sec NS) For a lot of people, when they’re going through fertility…not getting enough intake for your body.
- 25:24 – 25:57 (33 sec NS) One of the things I recommend…we should be looking at and focusing on.
- 28:26 – 29:11 (44 sec NS) I would suggest that they spend some time…they don’t want to miss that opportunity to make a baby.
- 31:46 – 32:20 (34 sec NS) Really figuring out what we believe…it just helps things fit together better.
- Weight is meant to fluctuate. It’s meant to fluctuate throughout the day, throughout our menstrual cycle, throughout our lifetime. – NS
- Making sure we’re getting all our needs met, and making sure that we’re taking care of those needs both sexual and non-sexual intimacy needs is really important. NS
- In order to advocate for yourself, you have to, at some level, believe you’re worth advocating for. BC
A mindset is a really critical component of being able to have a joyful, pleasurable life. If you’re worried all the time, you’re not going to see the joy coming at you. You’re not going to be able to be in the moment & be joyful. BC
If you enjoyed this episode and want more, join our FB group:
You can also find Fat Girl Finds Love:
And join us in the community! Fat Girls Finds Love FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fatgirlfindslove/
Transcript coming soon!
Most people learn about new podcasts throughfriends. So please share the Fat Girl Finds Love Podcast with your fellow podcasters on twitter. If this episode got you all fired up SUBSCRIBE wherever you get your podcasts! ONE CLICK!
You can ask your questions continue the conversation and meet your fellow Fat Girl Finds Love Community members, by simply joining the Fat Girl Finds Love Podcast Facebook Group!